With the second term fast drawing to a close, many parents will have started giving serious thought to where their child will be attending school next year. Whether your son/daughter is starting prep, making the transition from primary to secondary school or simply switching institutions, there’s a host of factors likely to influence your decision. We’ve provided a shortlist of questions you will need to consider.
- Is the school close enough to your home and/or work?
- Does the school have programs in place to cater for your child’s needs and interests?
- What facilities does the school have?
- Are you comfortable with the feel of the school?
- Is the staff supportive and welcoming?
- What is the school’s stance on homework and discipline?
- What other services (e.g. after-school care) does the school offer?
- If your child has any special needs, can the school cater for them?
- What are the annual fees? Are there any other costs to be paid over the course of the year?
Remember: It’s important you choose a school that complements your son/daughter. You don’t want your child feeling as though he/she is required to change considerably in order to ‘fit in’.
For a more comprehensive list of tips on choosing schools, see the Australian Scholarships Group’s article: Tip Sheet – How To Choose A School With Confidence.
Note: Keep a look out for Edworks’ new book, ‘The ICing on the Cake’. Written by Psychologist and Edworks Founder, Greg Nicholson, this must-read publication offers vital tips on preparing your child for school. Available at www.edworksglobal.com soon!